It's time for Spring Cleaning! Did you know that the week of 6th to 12th March, 2017 is the National Spring Cleaning Week? And, its imperative your furniture - indoor and outdoor is washed and cleaned in time for you to enjoy the warm weather to come.
In case youíre one of those who likes to clean their own furniture instead of opting for spring cleaning service, below are a few essentials to keep in mind when getting your home ready:
The first thing to do when you start your spring cleaning is opening all the windows. Let the air come in! The furniture that weíve curled ourselves in the last four months can do with some fresh air. Not only does this help us get rid of the moistness from the furniture, but it also helps you rejuvenate after the harsh winter months.
We understand how difficult getting off your couch has been due to the cold. But, it also means that it is one of the dirtiest pieces of furniture in your home. Here is what you need to do to get rid of the dirt:
- If your couch comes with detachable cushions, remove them and pour baking soda on the fabric. Leave it on for about 45 minutes. This helps in removing damp odour, if any.
- Vacuum the baking soda out. Ensure you donít leave any corner!
- Mix half a cup of natural detergent with two tablespoons of water to brew up a frothy liquid. Now, rub this liquid onto your couch.
- Lastly, using a microfiber cloth, clean the liquid off the couch.
Note: Do not do this with leather furniture!
The cold weather is probably the hardest on your carpets and rugs. It attracts the most amount of dust and germs. So what do you to get back that sheen on the rug?
- Rent a carpet cleaner and first try using it on indistinct area of the carpet. This will ensure we know that there is no damage caused to the carpet by the machine and it will help you get a hang of using the machine. Practice makes man perfect!
- Once certain, move the furniture out of the way. And, be sure to guard the legs of your furniture with a wax paper. Not only will this protect the carpet, but also, keep the legs from getting wet and warped.
- Leave the carpet to dry. It usually takes about a day for it to dry. This is where the open windows help you!
- Enjoy your (almost new) carpet!
Since this is an outdoor task, it is recommended that you pick a nice bright day to do it. The cleaning of patio furniture depends on the kind of material the furniture is made of.
- If it is made of plastic, resin or glass, all you have to do is mix a quarter cup of mild dish soap with about 3.5 litres of water and use a smooth brush to scrub the dirt of the furniture. Once youíre satisfied with the cleaning, use a hose to water out the soap and leave the furniture to dry.
- When cleaning wooden patio furniture, combine two ounces of bleach in 3.5 litres of hot water. Then with the help of a sponge, apply the liquid onto the furniture. Let the liquid settle for about 15 minutes. After which, use a soft brush to get rid of the dirt. Finally, wash the soap off your furniture with water and leave it to air dry.
We can only imagine how difficult it would be to get out of bed, with the couch itself being a struggle! But again, that only means more dirt and mug. But now, since the slumber time if over, here is what you can do:
- Throw in all the bedding, including skirting, duvets and the covers for a wash.
- With some help, remove the mattress of the bed and thoroughly vacuum it. This is also a good time to clean up the floor under the bed and the wall behind it. When done, put the mattress back in its place.
- Spray some baking soda mixed with your favorite essential oil on your mattress and let it sit for about 45 minutes.
- Now, vacuum the top of the mattress and say hello to a lovely looking(and smelling) bed!
If you have more tips for us, please let us know in the comments section below!